There is a lot not to like about the new health care bill, but I am not one of the people that will “hate the world” because of it. There are some good things that come with Health Care Reform. I like the list I saw from LIVESTRONG today.
Survivor’s Top Five—Health Care Reform
- “Pre-existing” conditions are history. As soon as this year for kids, and for all individuals by 2014, no insurance plan can deny you because you’re fighting cancer or any other illness.
- You can’t lose your insurance when you need it most. Within six months, no person can be dropped from their insurance plan when they receive a diagnosis of cancer or any other disease.
- An end to “lifetime caps” on your benefits. You won’t have to worry about your benefits “running out” as you’re fighting to take care of yourself or a family member.
- More coverage for young adults. Beginning in six months, you can stay on your parents’ coverage up to the age of 26.
- Support for clinical trials. By 2014, the law will prohibit new health plans from dropping or limiting coverage just because an individual is enrolled in a clinical trial.
Like I said there is a lot that I do not like about Health Care Reform, but as a cancer survivor and LIVESTRONG supporter we got most of the key items we wanted to address. There is still more work to do which will give us more items we want, but this is a good start.